What is shockwave therapy?
Shockwave therapy is a non-surgical therapy using acoustic sound waves. These high energy sound waves promote the bodies natural healing processes such as stimulating collagen production, promoting blood flow/vessel growth, inflammation and cellular regeneration. It can be used in bone, tendon and soft tissue injury types.
Radial Pressure Shockwave therapy is the latest technological management option that will be provided by the Quay Health team. The Chattanooga Intelect RPW 2 Shockwave machine is the best on the market.
The team at Quay health have been extensively trained to provide Radial Pressure Shock Wave Therapy to manage your injuries with up-to-date research-based practice protocols. Shock wave therapy is used as an adjunct alongside goals-based rehabilitation.
How does Shockwave therapy work?
The Shockwave machine has a piston that moves up and down a barrel with the power of compressed air. Kinetic energy drives the ‘bullet’ inside the barrel to repetitively tap a specialised transmitter to generate radial waves into soft tissue to produce a therapeutic effect.
Shockwave therapy offers a safe, non-invasive, and effective management solution to:
- Influence tissues on a cellular level to promote inflammation which enhances and reset the healing pattern
- Desensitise tissue: Shock Wave therapy can reduce sensitive areas around the body via gate control therapy to calm symptoms down
- Shock Wave is a non-invasive therapy with no radiation
- Re-vascularisation (the development of new blood vessels) occurs in the region of treatment to allow for more oxygen and nutrients for healing and regeneration
- Muscle tone recovery to assist with stiffness in soft tissue.
What is shockwave used for?
- Achilles tendinopathy
- Posterior tibial tendon tendinopathy
- Patella/Hamstring/gluteal tendinopathy
- Calf muscle stiffness
- Plantar fasciitis
- Myofascial trigger points
- Adhesive Capsulitis (Frozen shoulder)
- Chronic tennis/golfer’s elbow
- Repetitive strain injury (RSI)
- Pulse vibration massage
How much shockwave do you need?
Researched Protocols for clinical evidence-based protocols range from 3-6 session of 1500-2000 Shocks.
The team at Quay health will:
- Mark the region that shock wave therapy will be applied and educate on possible outcomes.
- Select the best evidence-based transmitter depending on your goals and the tissue being treated.
- Apply a water-based ultrasound gel over the skin to improve the pressure shock pulses to the targeted area.
- Always start at a low energy acoustic level of intensity to improve comfort levels
- Perform a pre and post treatment comparison to test for improvement in function or decreases in pain.
- Educate on when is the best periods to return for increase therapeutic effect.
If you have interested or would like to try Radial Pressure shock wave therapy, feel free to contact our team on (02) 9252 2825